Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Dark Tower Series returns!!!


Well folks, it's Dark Tower time again! It has been six years since I first picked up "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. Always being a great fan of his work, I still had my reservations about these books simply because the covers just never appealed to me! I am guilty of judging a book by it's cover, don't tell anyone!!! A few friends and I were on a long distance road trip and one of the guys had this book and WOULD NOT put it down until we reached our far distance -- well, it was New York to Vermont, and c'mon, anywhere outside of "the city" is just FAR. But he was so enrapt by it, I just had to ask... and he told me to just read it. So I did. And I'll never judge another book again... The Dark Tower series is fantasy, humor, Western, romance and good 'ol King-horror that we all know and love, but it's more than that too, it's like stepping into another world. And I'll tell you one thing: that world often isn't somewhere anyone would necessarily want to be, but somehow (as he always does) Mr. King makes us believe that we'd ditch the world which we live in now for his freaky one in a second if given the chance! The books hero is Roland Deschain and it's set in a future after the world has "moved on" and he is the last gunslinger alive, roaming different worlds and dimensions toward a Tower that holds the strings of existence in it's floors. He is out to save the world, and he has all kinds of adventures along the way including man eating creatures on a beach called "lobstrosities", I mean really! Maine, lobster! But really, it's just the type of thing that scares the shit out of me and I love it.

I did read all the books, scattered over 2003-2006, but now have to really sit down and read them again, back to back and I'm sucked in again. I find myself thinking about our hero during the day and longing to pick up my book during work hours! So, if you are looking for an interesting read (or seven) do pick it up... but take heed, you won't be able to put it down again!

No comments: