Thursday, February 19, 2009

(Belated) Valentine's Day of mine...


So it was last Saturday, but I guess I'm still thinking about it, and it includes a restaurant review, so here it goes... Valentine's Day begun like any other Saturday: wake up at 5am and get my ass to work! Before I left, Sam and I exchanged gifts... he gave me the sweetest card (always made by his hands for me) and a photo of us imposed on a little canvas with it's own little easel for my desk. It was, as his gifts are always, perfect! I gave him some jeans that showed how cute his butt are, that he exchanged! Thought that counts, no? Off to work! I had made Valentine's cards for my co-workers, so I passed them out (I was the only jerk who did cards, but they were so appreciated, so it was worth it) and went about my day. My parents picked me up at the day's end and surprised me with homemade heart shaped brownies with red icing and chocolate covered strawberries with red sugar topping! Those, I ate on Sunday afternoon while Sam was out and had myself the worst stomache ache in like 10 years.... that wasn't because they weren't delicious, but because I ate a dozen... think I over did it? Heh. Onward! After finally getting home (mom had to push a visit to sister AND grandma in there before dropping me off), I relaxed for a few then dressed for dinner on the Blvd! We bundled up and headed out on foot, I mean it's only two blocks to Hollywood Bl. anyway. We walked until we came to a place called El Loteria (or is it La? Either way, you get it). We got a seat at the bar where we had a perfect view of the people making all the food and ordered up taquitos for me (chicken and potato) and Sam got this platter of 12 different tacos that were all two-bite sized. I love taquitos wherever I go, and this place was no exception... their chicken musta been stewing all day and tasted like heaven and my favorite of Sam's platter was the Chicken Mole one (holy cow, it was better than ANY mole I've tasted outside of my Grandma's). Sam's favorite was the carnitas, and after we finished, the chef asked him what his favorite was and gave him another, bigger taco for free! The restaurant is beautiful with a relaxed atmosphere; all white with huge Loteria cards all over the place, Spanish music giving it a feel of a fiesta. The prices were average, the service excellent. I think that I've developed an allergy to lettuce that made me sick later, but from no fault of the restaurant. I would go there again for sure, it's the perfect place to bring out-of-towners.
After dinner, we strolled (slowly) to Kitchen 24 for a lil' dessert & drink. It was empty, which was perfect, because we weren't in the mood for a line. We shared the Skillet Apple Pie, I had tea and Sam a scotch and soda. It was the perfect ending for two fat puppies like us. Our romantic night was an eating contest, but if you know me and Sam, that's just what we like.
Happy Eating! I mean, Happy Valentine's Day y'all!

No comments: